As climate change concerns become an increasingly more mainstream topic of conversation, the government’s current target is for all new cars and vans sold in the UK to be electric vehicles by the year 2040. This means we’re going to see more and more electric cars on the roads as we move forward. The smart move for home and business owners is to start preparing for those changes.
The year 2019 recorded sales of nearly 38,000 electrical vehicles sold in the UK. This is a huge increase from the 15,500 sold in 2018, which demonstrates the accelerated interest in electric cars.
What is an EV charging station?
An electrical vehicle charge point, or EV charging station, replaces the petrol pump as the means by which electric vehicles refuel. Rather than filling up a tank, the engine battery is simply recharged, resulting in a cheaper, more energy efficient process. Unlike its petrol tank predecessor, electrical energy results in zero carbon emissions from the engine, making EVs a very attractive, green alternative.
For those who need more persuading, there’s a whole host of benefits that come with opting for an electrical vehicle. At its cheapest, a full charge of an EV engine battery would cost around 96p (for a charge lasting around 100 miles). That’s a fraction of how much it would cost to refill a petrol tank.
Alongside much cheaper fuel costs, there are other huge savings to be made. Fewer moving parts in the engine of an EV means a reduced likelihood of breakdowns – or in other words, lower repair costs. And what’s more, as part of the effort to incentivise the use of EVs, the government has made them exempt from road tax. At this point, it’s beginning to look like a no-brainer.
Do I need an EV charger installed in my home?
As EVs become ever more popular, we can expect to see an increased number of electrical charging points across the UK, which is currently upwards of 6000 (and counting). Accordingly, it’s increasingly easier for EV drivers to find a nearby charging point when the engine battery runs low. However, there’s a very persuasive argument for investing in having your own EV charging point installed at your home.
- Rather than driving around looking for an available charging point, it’s much more convenient to be able to simply plug in your EV for an hour or two when you get home. You’ll also only be paying the cost of refueling, rather than also having to pay the added levy charge for using a charge point owned by a commercial business.
- As if it couldn’t get any better: The government is currently subsidising the cost of installation of domestic charging points for homeowners, with savings of up to 75%. As Point Electrical is an approved OLEV installer we can get the grant for you.
Because every site is unique, installation costs for EV charging points will always vary. The best thing to do is to contact a trusted commercial electrician who can conduct a survey and give you a quote to work with. In the meantime though, it’s worth knowing that the government has plenty of initiatives in place to incentivise the installation of electrical charging points for homes and businesses. This can go some way towards offsetting costs and making your investment more worthwhile.
The Electrical Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) provides eligible users of electrical vehicles with 75% of the cost for installing an electrical charging point at home, up to a maximum of £350.
It’s worth considering that schemes such as these are brought in to encourage changes early in the process of transition. Accordingly, they might not be around forever. Most likely, fortune will favour those companies who take advantage of the scheme while it lasts. So, consider jumping on the bandwagon before electrical charging points become more commonplace.
Choose Point Electrical for supply and installation
We employ trusted engineers who are experienced in facilitating the installation of EV charging points, for homes and businesses alike. Our straightforward process is detailed below, step-by-step:
- A site survey in which we assess your premises to find the best area for installation and work out overall costs.
- A detailed design to ensure the most efficient installation possible.
- As an OLEV-approved installer, we can apply for grants on behalf of both domestic homeowners and also for commercial purposes. This helps save you both time and money.
- We’ll organise the supply and delivery of the EV charging point itself so you don’t have to.
- Installation of your new EV charging station. Once your EV is charged, you’re ready to go!
In the hands of Point Electrical, it’s as simple as that. One of our highly qualified and friendly team can get you started, or just set you on the right track with some advice. Contact us today.