If you’re planning to renovate your shop, whether it’s for expansion, modernisation or simply to enhance your brand, here are a few things to consider to ensure you end up with a space that ticks all your boxes, justifies your investment, and wows your customers.
Design and planning
The first and most important step, on which the success of the whole project will rest, is planning exactly what your renovation will look like. At this stage you will need to consider:
- Objectives– Once you start making changes to your fixtures, fittings and décor it can be surprisingly easy to forget why you started the project in the first place. Whether you want to add space, achieve a better use of your existing space or simply upgrade and modernise, have your goals clear from the outset and always keep them in sight.
- Budget– It’s easy for costs to escalate, so plan out and research costings for every element of your project to have the best chance of sticking to your budget.
- Planning permission– If planning permission is required it will affect your budget and timescale, so check this way in advance of starting work, ensuring you give yourself plenty of time to account for all eventualities and any delays that may arise.
- Book skilled contractors– Research and book your contractors in advance, ensuring you choose ones that have experience providing commercial electrical services, have the relevant certification and accreditation within their field, and provide a guarantee on their work.
Practicalities to consider
Once the overall project plan is in place, it’s time to think about the practicalities of your renovation, including:
- Fixtures and fittings– The style and materials of the fixtures and fittings you choose will have a big effect on the overall look and feel of your space and say a lot about your brand. If you’re looking to promote your environmental standpoint, for example, you may decide to feature furniture and fittings made of recycled, reclaimed and natural materials.
- Practical use of space– When mapping out what goes where, think carefully about exactly how you want to use your space, and how you want your customers to navigate their way around. It’s worth considering the location of every shelf, plug socket and light fitting well in advance, because moving these later will cost you time and money. Choosing contractors experienced in commercial renovations will pay dividends, as they will have the knowledge, skills and experience to advise you on possibilities you may not have considered.
- The wow factor– A key objective for any shop renovation will be to create a space that entices customers in a better way than your competition. So, check out what they’re doing, and think about how you can do it better! There are lots of ways to add that wow factor by considering your colours, décor and product placement, and how these can be enhanced with just the right commercial lighting. A well-lit window, and strategically placed spotlights can transform look and feel of your shop.
Choose Point Electrical for commercial electrical services you can rely on
At Point Electrical our professional NICEIC registered electrical contractors have years of experience working on commercial projects. We are excellently placed to provide the expert advice and skills needed to create your ideal space on time and in budget, whatever the size of your project. Contact us for a no-obligation quote for your shop renovation.